Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Upcycled Wedding Dress ~ Part 5


This has been such a fun project.
I was sort of thinking I was close to being done
but as I was looking at the dress on the mannequin
I decided it probably had more life to it.
 
First, however, it's getting the equipment ready for work.
When I was a kid my Mom, Grandmothers, & Aunts would gather to quilt around
the quilt frame that was almost always set up in our basement . 
It was a large frame that belonged to my Grandma Johannes & made by Grandpa.
Grandma J had tacked a doubled over piece of fabric all along the length of each strip of wood.  The bottom, batting & top of the quilt was pinned to this fabric.
 
As a child, I remember having to thread needles & line them up
along the edge of the quilting frame.  As the quilters worked across the quilt
they never had to stop to thread a needle.  They would just pull another needle
with thread & continue on.
 
At the time, I thought it was a speed thing.
NOW... I know it's an eyesight thing.
Those tiny little holes in needles are hard to see!
 
So... I've employed my own system.
Here's William.
Threading my sewing machine.
Yep ~ I can't thread the darn needle except by accident
or if I wear my new bifocals.
 
Good Grief ~!



 

 
I had the other half of the skirt (that I used earlier for a hooded cape).
But, hey, since I have another half I might as well make another cape, right?
 
So, this will be a short cape.
With a tulle collar to match the hem.
And beaded fringe since I had almost the exact amount left over.
 
It's a sign!




Working on the neckline of the cape.



Close up of the beaded fringe being sewn on.
This was sewn on after the tulle & the casing for the drawn string around the neck.

 
Here's a picture of the casting loose.
It looks great if it's pulled up tight & around the neck too.


 
Here's a view of the back of the cape.
I think this is better being shorter?
 
Yes?
 
I like it because it's above the tulle' hem.
 
I feel like I need to add a shoulder strap...
 
A SNAKE STRAP.
 
With lots of bugs & insects hovering over the shoulder.
 
What can I say??
 
It's still winter in Alaska & I'm salivating for spring.
 
Can't wait to get the worm compost going.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment