Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wonky Comb ~

In between rain showers & downpours I've been trying to get into the bee hives.
I have two supers of honey to harvest & wonky frames of comb to check on.


This is what it looked like the last time I checked one of the hives a little over a week ago.
Two separate combs built together on one frame ~ one started from
the top & one from the bottom... 
 Stuck together!


It's beautiful white comb on the top & gooey, honey-filled, comb on the bottom.


Here you can see how the two combs are overlapping.


I removed one of the combs & in doing so the other
comb bent at a right angle to the frame.


Here it is after beekeeper surgery...all tied up with string.
Some beeks use rubber bands to hold the comb in the frame
 ~ & I've tried that in the past ~
however this hive has removed the rubber bands & strewn them in the lawn when I tried to fix up their poor engineering previously.


My theory is that they don't like the smell or texture of the rubber
and prefer the organic cotton string(?)

Hey....that might be a good science project!
For William...not me  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment